Wednesday 15 August 2012

What's on my Nightstand: Shiva Triology


Good Books, make my life happier. When I read a good piece of literature, I am a happy person and can't stop talking about it. It could get a tad bit annoying actually. For example: If I meet someone now, after a hello and what's up. I ask: Have you read about those Meluhans? 
As I adjust myself into the world of "no-more Harry Potter",  God (literally) decided to come to rescue and threw "Immortals of Meluha"  and "Secret of the Nagas", my way.
Verdict: Absolute Page Turners. Can't wait for the the last book of the Trilogy, which is scheduled for December 2012 release!  
There is so much of hindu literature and mythology in these books. And given my obsession with Mahabharat and Ramayan and other  ancient scriptures, I'd say It's  a perfect match.  It's stuff my grandma used to tell me about Shiva and Sati! And now I get to read it, from a completely fresh point of view. Splendid, I tell you!
I have always loved the aura of Mahadev. His Chillum and dreadlocks are trademarks of Hinduism's creative outlook at the perception of god. He's the rebel of the lot. A symbol of non conformity in the most Godliest form. It's an amazing plot, with beautifully crafted sequence of words!  The characters of Sati, Nandi are people we have always known. Their originality is retained,  yet Amish's own creative twists adds that element of surprise.
Immortals of Meluha is the first of the  Shiva Trilogy! 

Secret of the Nagas: 80,00 copies were pre-ordered! It sold 95k copies in a month! 
 Birdie has it that Karan Johar is making a movie of it!  Well if it's true then Kjo has a lot of homework to do. The mystical sets, the demanding characterization and the land of the Meluhans. Phew! It's a big task. And it's rumored that either Priyanka Chopra  or Vidya Balan will play Sati. Who do you think would be better? The first time she is  described in the book, I had a vivid image of Aishwarya Rai in Jodha Akbar's Fencing scene. However, I think he should go for a fresh pick!  Maybe launch a Sati Hunt? Now that would be interesting. But I guess the stakes are high and KJo would want to play safe with bankable actors.

What about the Mighty Mahadev? Who do you think could take up the role?


No comments:

Post a Comment