Monday 22 November 2010

The Story of My life

It was the eleventh year of my  life.  I was busy reading the Baby Sitter's Club and Sweet Valley. Then one of my teachers told me I should read this book.

Titled  Harry Potter and the Philosopher's stone the first few pages, were gobbledegook. The big words and tiny writing, made me feel like a total idiot trying to decipher something, beyond their capacity.

But Hey!  I didn't give up. It took me two good weeks to complete the novel. By the end of it, I still had many unanswered  questions. Did I tell you I was just 11?

That dreamy look before Harry Potter 7
Then, I read the third installment, Prisoner of Azkaban. I loved it. The world of Harry Ron and Hermione started to make  sense. I started dreaming of Hogwarts. I told my friends to read this fascinating book. They did. Around the same time, computers were becoming popular. And boy, did I love the Desktop dad brought home! Rumors leaked that Warner Bros were making a movie out of it. Now that I think of it, Harry Potter movie must've been the first words I ever googled.

Not surprisingly, Dan Radcliffe became my prince charming and I started reading everything I could about him. Not long after that, I started reading Goblet Of Fire. I was 13 by then.

I got so hooked on to the book that I read it in one day. I locked myself in a room for four long hours and poured over the pages of Triwizard Tournament  and Yule Ball.
By the end of it, mom decided to take me to the eye doctor.

Order of Phoenix was a book I waited for, like never before. I had read all the four parts and very soon would be laying my hands on the fifth one. There was a rumor that someone important would die. I had night-long conversations with my friend about what was to come.

Speculation became surprises. Harry Potter kissed a girl. I went weak on my knees.

By the end of it, I wept like a baby. Why, I asked, why did it have to be Sirius?

My life changed too. I moved to another country. In my high school in Thailand, everyone made fun of the Harry Potter backpack I had. I just smiled.

A year passed.

Then, I joined boarding school in India. My first week of boarding school was the week Half Blood Prince released. Was I pumped?

But there was a problem. The book released Friday and the librarian at my new school said she couldn't  issue it to me, until Monday.  Would you believe me if I said I cried so much that she actually had to hand me a copy? Before it went through a whole bunch of paperwork. I was sixteen and made a librarian break a rule.

By Saturday, I was halfway through the book, when my hostel warden called me. She said I had a package. It was my Birthday Week too. Dad, who was in Thailand, had stood in line for hours, bought me a copy and sent it through express mail. I felt blessed. By Monday, I had chewed the book, inside out. Another tearful night had gone by for I couldn't stop tears from rolling. Do ya'll remember Dumbledore's funeral? =/

Then the two years of boarding school went by  and I graduated '07.

In July that year, Deathly Hallows released. And I read it with my Harry Potter Buddy, Arati. If you listen to our conversations, you would think we're crazy. We probably are.

Movies came and went. The fourth movie was a date! Haha, told you, it has memories. And the fifth movie, was with  different people at different times.

Half Blood Prince released last year. And my story continued in the land of United States.

And today as I anticipate,  I can't say how  excited I am. I have managed to surprise even myself this time..
It must be the fact that  this movie is going to give me a break from the stress in life? Or maybe, I miss being the wacky wizard lover?

But even more, it reminds me of the good times in my life, and the bad ones too.

It was my best friend through teenage. I remember, listening to Simple Plan and reading Phoenix. I remember writing a play with my buddy Ayushi in 11th  grade and enacting it. It was a  pantomime titled, " Harry Potter and the (something) exams."

 Ah Memories. I remember dad yelling at me, for reading the same book more than ten times (never told him it was actually more than 12 times) ^_^

With all that said,  Let's hope for a great movie tonight.

And as for the thought of the day, I leave you with a spell. It'll help you in life:

Wingardium Leviosa   all your worries.
Accio to all the joy.
Expelliarmus what is yours from others.
Imperio your life.
For your wish
Should be its command.

In simpler words

Leviate your worries
and bring joy to yourself
Take rightfully what is yours
And command your life
To do as you may
For your wish
is its command.

4 comments:

  1. I believe all of us,grew up with Harry,Ron and Hermoine,and though Rowling ended her books,our journey with the trio is eternal.=).I am reminiscing the joyful times reading the Series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you're finally down to writing something you've been so passionate about, since FOREVER. Cheers to HP and all that jazz :)
    XX

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am glad to read a warm piece of ur sweet heart :) a peek to a world of memories that i can only wonder in amazement :)- Amulya (KA)

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmmmm so u are that harry potter lover ever since u were a kid.. now i dont have any comments about ur obsession to the movies and wizards.

    keep writing..

    ReplyDelete